Published on July 9th, 2013 | by Stephanie0
DAY TWO WRAP UP
Mathematics – the ‘edge’ I needed!
Q. When did you discover that you had a passion and a knack for the mathematical sciences?
I’ve always found maths helped me make sense of the changes I see around me – like how changes in rainfall and temperature have an impact on my Dad’s crops in southern Queensland where I grew up. I did advanced maths in high school because I enjoyed it and was good at it.
TOP TWEETS # MPEAU @DiscoverAMSI
- @mariposajanine – Chris Budd uses Kalman filter to assimilate data in weather prediction
- @DiscoverAMSI – Super computing power and mathematics allows the accuracy of forecasts to be improved by about a day per decade! Prof. Budd #MPEAU
- @CSIROnews – Data science for informing insights, understanding & decision making – Our Bronwyn Harch speaking this morning at #MPEAU Year conference ^DC
- @MariEricksen – #MPEAU @DiscoverAMSI Findings could lead to delay the onset of alzheimers by 5 years, nearly halving the cost for Australia @AlzheimersAus
- @mariposajanine – Being mathematically capable doesn’t mean the place you work at must have maths in its name- reach out with your career Bronwyn Harch #mpeau
- @penguian – Use of Bayes implies questioning and refining the prior – #mpeau
DELEGATES HAVE THEIR SAY ABOUT MPE CONFERENCE! Watch here…
WHAT’S ON TOMORROW:
Robert Muir-Wood, Risk Management Solutions. Saving lives and money – the secondwave of Catastrophe modelling
Simon Barry, CSIRO. Managing Biosecurity for a Planet at Risk
- Julie Arblaster, BoM. Earth System Models – tools for understanding climate variability and change
- Peter Waterhouse, University of Sydney. Bioinvasion at the Molecular Level
5:00 – 6:00pm MPE photography competition exhibition
6:00 – 7:00pm Public Lecture: Dr Mark Stafford Smith. A Future Earth for our children: maths for the plant